The Almighty RuAr has gripes, grievances and praise, which he bestows through his Blog.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Point of Entry

Ok, so this is the first Blog post on this website, but I have had a vague Blog on msn spaces. (http://spaces.msn.com/RuAr) I have posted a few pictures on Zorpia (www.zorpia.com/RuAr05) too. But this shall be the first attempt at a proper blog.

Unfortunately for all those "slit your wrist" types, this isn't a self-loathing or self-pitying glance at the Teenage subconscious. Indeed it is a Blog in which I can write whatever I want, which shall mostly be rants, or comments about current events or current events in my life (as dreadfully dull as some people may perceive it to be).

I guess this Blog entry should explain me? Well I'm.... no, I'm not going to, instead I'm going to focus my energies on pointing out the futility of email forwarding which seems to be the current trend, especially those emails which claim to be traced by those head-honchos at whichever company hosts the respective email service.

I seem to receive so many of these emails it has truly incensed me, and gets on my tits in a big way. Usually the email will begin:

"Dear (HOST COMPANY i.e. Hotmail) user,
It has come to our attention that there are a growing number of inactive accounts and in order to maintain an effecient throughput, we have sent this email which you must forward. By forwarding this email you will confirm that your account is active and we will not delete you. Be sure to email all of your contacts so that they do not get deleted for inactivity. If you do not forward this email within 15 minutes of opening it your account will be deleted for inactivity.

Yours Sincerely
(Enter standard name here followed by an important sounding position and the company name)"


Now, maybe it's not everyone else, maybe it's just me. But I don't see how anyone could fall for this? Wouldn't the company (Let's use the Hotmail case for now) send out an email to each individual user asking them to confirm their account as active, or upon next login have the user confirm through a simple button click, that their account is active?

Also, how would this whole thing start (assuming that this is not a scam)? Would the official from Hotmail sit and go

"Right, we need to clear up all these inactive accounts, what can we do? oh, I know, I'll email imahorny_schloot@hotmail.com and tell them to forward this email which I can track to find out who is inactive. OR, get this, I could send out a mass-mail to everyone on the network and whoever does not reply is deleted! No, wait, that's out of the question. I have far too much spare time on my hands. I'll occupy it with the first plan. Dear Bigstewd....."

I don't think so.

Dear me, time has flown by, I must fly, but I will update this later. In fact, for the near future I will compile a list of Blog entries concerning things that annoy me about the incompetent internet user and their failings in life/internet usage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home